Her as a tutor

(This sort of thing is normally placed in the AI Guild, but figured it may be of more general interest)

2 Likes

Just a reminder how far into the future we are vs the general population

Most people are still coming to terms with “Chat with PDF” being a thing

This is better teaching than my children get, haha!

3 Likes

Totally right?! Now your kids can use this though for free :exploding_head:

1 Like

Sal Khan is an absolute legend — deserves to be at the frontier of technology after helping fill in teaching gaps over 13 years ago!

1 Like

Agreed interesting though that he is promoting a non-Khan Academy tutor, just shows even with everything he has done over the years he himself can see and seemingly accepts that AI just does it better. What is the future of Khan Academy with that realisation?

Well they’ve always been a non-profit, and they got super early access to GPT-4. I think it’s just an advantageous partnership that makes OpenAI look better, and allows for some non-competitive alternative starting points for AI (tutor vs simple chat bot)

That is true but I am guessing that Sal knows that the future of Khan Academy is to be a wrapper of AI which won’t provide much moat, admittedly he shouldn’t see that as a negative thing as it achieves his mission and then some but what about all the people and companies Khan Academy has been disrupting/making redundant… I am not sure paying for education is ever going to make sense again.

But how you safe guard the kid to not override your command and not telling ChatGPT to just do it for him or her ?

Human are lazy by default, this is how we invent stuff and our brain works to keep us a live.

I believe that
Now the role or parents and teachers is to transmit the passion of knowing how and why
Passion to understand the process of creativity
What do you beleive?

1 Like

very well said, I completely agree, the original point of higher education was to foster the whole person into a good contributor to society, I think we need a return to that emphasis, thinking education leads to a job or that education is about getting good grades is dead and good riddance I say.